Skip to content

Surviving Jetlag & Restoring Energy

Hey, so if this week had a theme, it would have to be jet lag. I'm like, holy cow. We got back from Alaska on Monday and it was a brutally long day and I talked a little bit about this last week, but I mean we had to be at the airport for our flight at 1:00 AM or 2:00 AM on Monday, and just because it takes so long, you have to fly two flights. There’re no connecting flights fromImage (66) Fairbanks that we could see to Atlanta or Charlotte. So, we got to the little airport. Fairbanks's airport is not that big compared to say Atlanta and we head to Seattle, but it's at 1:00 or 2:00 AM so we had to get a hotel room for the night before and leave at around 12:30 to go to the airport. Fortunately, the hotel did have a shuttle because in Fairbanks it's hard to get Ubers.

They just don't have that many people needing rideshare services. We had stayed at a place that was very convenient and very close to the airport, which we later found out it was very common for nurses to stay there. We stayed there, went to dinner, and then tried to get an early, I guess, nap, whatever you want to call it. We went to bed at about nine o'clock because we had to get up at 1:00, which I'll just tell you makes for a long day. We flew to Seattle. Then we had about a two or three-hour layover there. Ended up getting breakfast, but it wasn't really breakfast by the time we ate it. For us, it didn't seem like breakfast because we'd been up five hours. I ended up getting a burger at the airport.

They were understaffed at the airport, so the restaurants and stuff, so it was very difficult to get real service, but we did that and then flew back to Georgia. Didn't get to Georgia until 4:00 PM, so super long day. When we got back, we picked up Mr. Ted who'd been staying with my in-laws. He had a good vacation there, but he was super happy to see us and then we went home to our Peachtree City house, unpacked, washed a little bit of what we could and then got things ready to go. And Tuesday morning drove back up to our Charlotte house, so we had to get up at 5:00 AM again to get there because I had meetings at 10 o'clock and we were trying to get back in time for that.

We also wanted to get in quickly because we were going to be taking care of my son's dog, Robin while he was gone for springImage (65) break. So, we'd had a house sitter, who just watched the dog for just a little bit, a day or two, and then we were coming up to relieve him of that and take over, and I had Tuesday meetings. So we got up at 5:00 AM. Got there and then I did my meetings and my wife managed to do all the unpacking and washing that we didn't get washed and just take care of things at the house and by the time my day was over, she pretty much squared everything away. Had our normal rest of the week. The biggest issue though, quite honestly, is we were just so tired. I feel like we slept most of the week.

My workouts were not great just because we were so tired and it seemed like it took probably three or four days to get back in the normal groove. Wednesday our clock was still getting acclimated, and we had difficulty sleeping and staying up. So, it was just a weird week. I would say jet lag is no joke and anybody who flies routinely back and forth across the country, across those time zones, good for you. I'm glad you can manage to do it because I didn't respond well. I was happy to get home and eat our regular food and get away from the airport and travel food, which we've been on for I guess four or five days.

I guess I missed our normal stuff, tacos and fajitas and steak and potatoes. We didn't have anything big planned for the week. Just finished things up. We are trying to do a new thing where we don't go out to eat as much, so we're going to have to see what happens on our dates because that's normally one of the staple activities is just to go to dinner. But we are going to be trying to figure that out is what I would say.

Image (64)Watched the fights this weekend. They were a fight night week, so not a huge thing, but a couple of good fights, a couple of exciting fights. I got to call home this Saturday and talk to my brother on his birthday. Then we tried to figure out a general plan of what we're going to do for our wedding anniversary, which will be next week. Just how we're going to celebrate that and what we're going to do.

One of the things me and Holly have been doing is we've been trying to watch One Piece on Netflix. It's an anime show. We try to watch one episode a day. Now when we first got into it, I'm not sure we quite knew how many episodes there were, because I think there's something like 800. So watching one a day, I think it'll take us three years to watch all of it! We settled in where we watch one, usually while we eat dinner, which is neat. We were behind while we were out of town, so we caught up a little bit on the plane and caught up when we were in town this week.

Looking forward to some movies coming out. I saw an ad for some crazy Jason Statham movie called Beekeepers, which is not about bees at all, so I don't even know why they picked that name, but they did, and then my wife saw an ad for Dune Two, that it's coming out next week, so she is super excited about that. She was a big Dune book fan. She loved the old original miniseries of Dune. I probably watched that movie more than it's worth, is what I would say. I definitely had some problems, and we watched Dune episode one, and I know Dune episode two is coming out in the theaters. I wish it was coming right to HBO Max so you could just watch it directly there. If anybody sees Dune, I would love to know what you thought about it, because it should be coming out next week. I hope you had a good week. Stay safe out there and remember if you are in pain, call Shane!